Friday 25 July 2014

PEI - Here We Come!

We had said that we weren't taking vacation this year. Maternity leave equals a "pay leave," so that makes vacationing a little more difficult, financially.

We had said, absolutely not, no way, no how, but we were really sad that we weren't going to make a trip to PEI this summer, because it's one of our favourite places to visit each summer. Why? Well, it's usually warm, but not too warm. The people are friendly, and it's kind of like home, but different enough to make it a bit of an adventure, with lots of new things to see and do. We always find something to do, but are also content just relaxing, something that can be difficult to do at home. In addition, the food is delicious - we're all about the food, especially seafood. (We're true Maritimers!)

So all we could do was dream of a little vacation, feeling a little sad that our summer would be void of any trips.  Then, my parents called and said they were renting a cottage for a long weekend and invited us along. I (sadly) said, thank you, but no, we decided that we weren't going to go anywhere this summer. 

Later in the day, I mentioned the conversation to my husband. The next thing I know, I hear him on the phone to my mother saying we'd go. So much for solidarity. Ha! I really can't complain though, because I'm just happy we're going. Isn't that one of the best parts of marriage? When your partner just knows what your family NEEDS and finds a way to make it happen? A weekend of relaxation, fun, and (of course) lobster is just what we need!

So, now I'm in planning mode. (I love being in planning mode!!) It may only be a four day trip, but it will be Little C's first vacation, so it has to be a good one. Actually, a nice short vacation like this is a perfect way to see how he'll make out travelling.  

Before we did anything, we had to think about a vacation budget. We had some money set aside for summer fun, but now we need to boost it up a bit.  So, we've listed some things on kijiji, and have already raised some money that way, and are now planning a yard sale.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I've had many yard sales over the years. It's a great way to turn clutter into cash. Since we have a lot of clutter right now, it's perfect timing. It's a lot of work, but it will be worth it, if it's a success.  Fingers crossed for good weather in the coming weeks. So, now I'm gathering, sorting, and pricing. Fun, fun, fun.

Now I'm planning for what we're going to do. We want to make this a budget-friendly vacation, so I'm looking for inexpensive activities on PEI. We're staying in a central spot, so I think we'll stay in the middle of the island, and maybe take a day to explore the Points East Drive on the eastern side of the island.

I just want to see something new.  We go to PEI most summers, so we've seen all the popular tourist traps. I want to see something different. The challenge is that my son is only 9 months old. What does a 9 month old like to do? I know that he likes to see new things, so that should be easy. He also likes animals, so I'll try to find some of those. What he doesn't like is to stay still for long, be strapped into a stroller for long, but he can't walk yet. It makes it a little more difficult. I'm up for the challenge though!

Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment below! I'd love to hear from you!

Blueberry Pie and A Beautiful Drive!

Yesterday, I went for a drive all by myself. I feel like this shouldn't be news, but usually I have C in tow, and although he makes road...